The Trump administration just imposed 30 percent tariffs on imported solar cells and modules. How much will it stunt solar growth in America? Will it spark a broader trade war?
There are a lot of questions about the impact. In this podcast, we’re giving you the answers -- or, as many answers we have just a day after the decision.
This week, we'll bring together our teams from The Interchange and The Energy Gang together to answer listener questions about the tariffs. We'll also talk with GTM Research's Cory Honeyman about how (and where) the 30 percent penalty will impact projects around the U.S.
Thanks to our podcast sponsors, CPower Energy Management and Fiveworx. Find out more about CPower's demand-side energy management solutions. Find out more about how Fiveworx can help your customer engagement program succeed.
In this episode, we address:
- What does a 30 percent tariff mean for project economics in the residential and utility-scale sectors?
- How will the 2.5-gigawatt cell quota work?
- Will the decision help domestic U.S. manufacturing? Will it hurt domestic installation jobs?
- What kind of challenges will we see at the World Trade Organization?
- Is there a pathway toward negotiation with China?
- How could local policy blunt the negative impact of these tariffs?
Read all our previous coverage and analysis of the Trump administration's solar tariffs:
- GTM Research: New Tariffs to Curb U.S. Solar Installations by 11% Through 2022
- GTM: Trump Administration Issues 30% Solar Panel Import Tariff
- GTM: Foreign Solar Manufacturers Weigh Opening U.S. Facilities as Tariff Decision Looms
Like our shows? Make sure to give The Interchange and The Energy Gang a rating and review on Apple podcasts. And make sure to subscribe to both shows on Apple podcasts, Google Play, Stitcher, or anywhere you get your podcasts.