Over the last four years VC investment insolarhas gone from a modest trickle to a roaring flood. In 2005 VCs invested about $200 million in solar startups. When the dust settles at the end of 2008, they will have invested about $4.5 billion in about 150 new solar startups in the four years from 2005 to 2008.
We've compiled a list of these firms with funding info and a few words on each startup's technology.
- Silicon Wafer Technology (c-Si)
- Solar Installers and Solar Financing Firms
- Solar Balance of Plant (Inverters etc.)
- Solar System Monitoring, Manufacturing Tools and Software
- Next-gen PV
- Thin-film solar
- Solar AC and heat
- Concentrating solar power (CSP)
The list includes VC-funded firms as well as other private firms looking for funding. We've divided it up by technology. If we've missed any let us know – remember this list is private companies only.